Introduction to WCAG and Rolling it Out Across Organizations
- Duration: 1/2 day
- Audience: Managers, IT leads
In this course we will learn the basics of WCAG 2, the worldwide
standard found in many policy and legal requirements, including
the Government of Canada’s “Standard on
Accessibility”, the Government of Ontario’s AODA, the
refresh of the US Government Section 508, European Union Mandate
376, the majority of fortune 500 companies and more. We’ll
de-mystify the WCAG! Slides will be provided.
What You Will Learn:
- Principles, guidelines and Success Criteria of WCAG 2
- Choosing the Success Criteria that apply to you
- Different levels of conformance
- Writing proper alternative text
- Colour contrast and overarching design decisions
- What web accessibility barriers look like (and feel like)
- Types of disabilities and a demonstration of assistive devices used by people with disabilities to operate websites
- How much does conformance cost and how to reduce costs
- Where are the pain points, and how to mitigate them
- Examples of websites with good WCAG conformance
- Development lifecycle, an introduction on how to eliminate bottlenecks
- Reduce work by distributing WCAG roles and responsibilities across the organization
- The creation of internal peer support committees to share knowledge
- How conformance to WCAG can improve your SEO and your mobile site
This course has no prerequisites (no programming experience required).
- We know the pulse of WCAG: Learn with a 15 year WCAG veteran, the only Canadian Invited Expert on the WCAG standard .
- Hands-on experience with web developers: We have worked with webmasters from some of the largest organizations.
- Practical tools: Not “one-size-fits-all”, flexible relationships, customized to your website. Tons of tools, tips, tricks & resources.
- Dynamic and engaging training: Energetic, fun and interactive. Some courses include demos with persons with disabilities.
- Additional support: Each student get a free 30-minute telephone and/or email consult within one month of the course.
For a quote or just to chat about your organization's needs