About David MacDonald
David MacDonald is president of CanAdapt and a 16 year veteran with the WCAG Working group, the longest standing Invited Expert. He is the only Canadian Invited Expert listed on the WCAG 2.0 standard. He is on the core team for WCAG 2.1, which includes new requirements for mobile and small screens, low vision and cognitive disabilities. He was on the team that wrote the WCAG2ICT on document accessibility, and on the 3 person panel mapping PDF/UA to WCAG. He was a core contributor to the WCAG Evaluation Methodology , and an editor of Using ARIA . Most W3C accessibility documents include him as a named contributor.
He was the WCAG web accessibility consultant to the Government of Canada for the proposed Bill C-81, the Accessible Canada Act. He was the Government consultant for the high profile Donna Jodhan case, where 10 million Government pages had to become WCAG conforming. He consulted to the Ontario Government during the creation of the AODA. He was the accessibility auditor for the forms and website to report AODA conformance to the Ontario Government. He has provided accessibility audits for dozens of Fortune 500 companies, such as Intel and Bayer. He taught the Prime Minister's office web content team. He audited all websites under the jurisdiction of the Canadian Transportation Agency (Air Canada, Westjest, ViaRail, etc.) and CRTC telecommunications networks (Bell, Telus, Sasktel, etc.).
He is one of 14 members of the Certification Committee for the International Association of Accessibility Professionals (IAAP) and was a keynote in Las Vegas for the inaugural IAAP conference. He is a frequent conference speaker.
David personally conducts CanAdapt's audits to ensure a consistent and accurate interpretation of WCAG. He teaches most of our courses. He trained 80 web and mobile developers, managers, and designers at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC).
He dedicates a portion of his work to hands-on accommodations of employees with disabilities to stay close to the community he serves. He works in English and French and is a husband and father. David wrote the WCAG theme song with over 40,000 combined views.
A Strategic Approach to Accessibility
WCAG Accessibility Training
Live via WebEx or in person
- Intro to WCAG for managers & marketing
- WCAG deep dive for HTML5, WAI-ARIA, mobile in an AGILE environment
- WCAG for content providers (WP, Drupal, etc.)
- PDF, InDesign, LiveCycle
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- .NET accessibility
- and more ...
All WCAG Courses
WCAG Audit, Evaluations & Testing
- Concise Executive Summary with graphs, top 10 issues, expert comments, priorities.
- Detailed manual testing results with screen shots, code snips and fixes
- Easy transfer of issues to JIRA
- Includes breakpoints for mobile
- Enterprise level automated scan
- UX & UI Testing by Users
- Mobile App Accessibility Testing
- Optional 508 VPAT completion
Mobile App Accessibility Testing
- Worked with the mobile development team of the Canadian Paralympic Committtee to integrate accessibility into the app used for the PanAm games in Toronto and the Olympics in Rio. The app won high praise from stakeholders with disabilities.
- We trained the mobile app team at the CBC. The app is well received and used regularly by the disability community.
- We're on the WCAG Mobile Accessibility Task Force, creating accessibility standards for the next generation of devices.
Other Accommodation Services
- Accessibility help desk and coaching for developers as they are in their AGILE production cycle
- Roadmap to roll out WCAG enterprise wide for senior management to integrate accessbility across the organizaiton
- Direct evaluation and accommodation of employees with disabilities
- Training on assistive technology such as JAWS, NVDA, Dragon, etc.
- AODA (Ontario) & ADA (US) consulting
- Accessible LiveCyle form creation
- Section 508 VPATs
Contact us for Details
For a quote or just to chat about your organization's needs